Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutGolfing

Technical User
Mar 5, 2007
US
Can anybody give me some advice on what kind of wireless adapter to buy if I want to pick up a signal from over 300 feet away. I can sometimes pick it up with my Laptop's built in wireless, but goes in and out. Just wondering if there is a adapter out there with greater range?

Look at any adapter with the option of adding an external ariel (by external I mean seperate). You'll then need to buy said ariel and locate in a suitable place. This depends on how good a signal you need and what is in the way.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

OutGolfing,
If there is power available some companies offer repeater - range extender type devices. Also, with 802.11n soon to be (?) ratified you may simply need to upgrade to that technology - if it's all we have heard is will be.
I have also read that some have successfully experimented with directional antennas at remarkable distances (one report was I read of was a mile, but I don't know if that was verified).
Bob

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back