Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winsxs folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norgermish

Technical User
Sep 1, 2006
US
I apologize if this has been asked before I just didn't see any previous questions about this topic in my search here. I was using windirstat to clean up some files on my laptop. I run Win 7 Ultimate. I saw a file called winsxs and the size is over 16gig. Just wondering any info about this file and if it can be cleaned up. I know it is a system file and contains critical data but I am just wondering of there is any more info about it. It seems rather large to me.
Thank you

Google is your friend. First result in a search for Winsxs:

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Thanks for the helpful information from linney and vacunita, yes google is my friend and certainly I searched there before coming here. I did find many articles on this folder and found many conflicting opinions about size and reigning in the size. I was hoping for more hands on experiential information but in reading through the information given have decided it isn't something to mess with and well enough just leave it alone....
Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back