Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Xp Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotch

Technical User
May 24, 2001
US
I work for a small college we have over 300 public workstations that have win98 as the os. They currently refresh from a server every time the system is booted and befor windows comes up. What I mean by refresh is that the system boots and compares the image on the machine with an index file on the network and replaces any files who's attibutes have changed so this way the user gets a fresh copy of win 98. Does anyone know of software that allows this in xp before the os loads. The program we are using for win98 was developed in house. this is not an option for xp. Any help with tis would be greatly appreciated

I am a work study in a small college as you are in we have about 300 XP machines and through the use of username restrictions we have gotten almost all of them to stay the same noone can change the wallpaper, clocks, taskbar, install software, or view the system properties, although people can save things to the hard drive.

Thanks for getting back to me. We thought about doing it this way but as you know the hard drive is not protected and that's a problem. But what we are trying to avoid is going to each system that was changed by the user. The way we have it now it just campares the files on the server with the system files and puts it back to the original install. Which is great less down time and it only takes 30 to 60 seconds to refresh and get the system up and running without any IT help. This is a lab enviroment and some are open 24hrs so they have plenty of time to change things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back