Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Pro is freezing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgicash

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hey guys,

I am rather baffled by this problem. My fiance's computer is acting rather strange. Starting about two days ago, we got back from a weekend away, and when we returned home, i noticed that when i tried to wake the computer out of sleep mode it did not respond. (no response from keyboard nor the mouse) I thought no big deal, so I restarted by cold rebooting. The computer booted up fine, and ran great for another few hours until i went to use it again. This time it had not gone into sleep mode, but was just sitting idle. When I went to move the mouse, it did not respond and the cursor was froze on the screen. The keyboard did not respond to any CTRL-ALT-DEL or any keys that I pressed. So once again I cold rebooted. When the computer started back up, it worked fine again. The computer locks up and freezes between 30 minutes after restart any where up to 3 to 4 hours, every time after I have restarted it. I have tried everything I can think of. I have searched several times with Virus scan and found no viruses, looked under event viewer to see if anything strange is occuring (nothing out of the ordinary there) , and just run out of ideas. I have no idea what the problem could be. I dont beleive anything has gone wrong with any of the components because the computer still runs great other than the freezing up problem. If yall could help I would really appreciate it.

Here are the system specs:

1 Ghz AMD Athlon
384 megs of PC100 Ram
16 mb tnt 2 pci video card
40 gig hd
cd burner
dvd drive

I am not sure what the motherboard is because it is a compaq computer and I hate looking in there because they always make everything so screwy, and never label anything.

Thanks for all your help,

mgicash

Just a stab in the dark, but the fan on the processor could be faulty causing the processor to overheat and lock up.

I didnt even think of that, that's a good idea, I think I will check that out when I get home today. I have heard that AMD processors can get very hot, and if the fan or the heat sink is not working that could definitely be causing the problem. Thanks for your help.

mgicash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back