Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows mutual trust relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozhead

Technical User
Jan 8, 2009
Is it possible to create a Windows mutual trust relationship between XPs or an XP and a Windows server? I have an application that needs to be able to access a shared drive on another box without being challenged for a login and password.

If the drive is already mapped, and persistent, then you will need to provide a login/password the first time only. You could script this action via VBScript, do so manually, or via login batch file/VBScript. It all depends on how things are set up, and how you want the application to access the "other" machine.

Sounds like you may be using local accounts instead of domain accounts. If that's the case, simply create a user account on the XP machine that uses the same username and password of the domain account that has rights to the share - this is very insecure mind you, but it will work and prevent the pop-up asking for credentials.

Personally I would set-up the domain account on the XP system and then migrate user profiles from the local to the new domain account and be done with it, but that's just me.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back