Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows don't stop sending e-mails!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargas71

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2003
CA
Hi,

one of my friend got a wierd problem on Windows XP. Windows don't stop sending e-mails even when Outlook Express is close. And none of those e-mails appear in the sent items section of Outlook.

We found this problem because Norton Antirus Windows didn't stop scanning outgoing e-mail every seconds.

But, we disable the scanning of outgoing e-mail in the Norton anti-virus options to stop seeing multiple windows opens. And it work.

Norton didn't found any virus on the PC. And the big question I'm asking my self is... does the Norton Anti-Virus have a bug or does my friend have some kind of spyware on is PC??? because the emails are outgoing when Outlook is close and even offline

Does anyone got an idea on this one???

Thanks a lot!!!

regardless of what nortons is telling you, there is likely to be a virus.

Most of the recent ITW virus attacks have included their own SMTP server so they don't need to have a mail client open.

download stinger from and run that or use to scan the machine.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

It's also quite possible that your friend's machine has somehow become a zombie for a spammer. Immediately install a firewall like ZoneAlarm that will monitor incoming & outgoing traffic.

Or update the Virus Software... Virus Subscription could be out of date which is why it didn't catch it to begin with.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back