Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows code

Status
Not open for further replies.

port27374

Technical User
Feb 14, 2004
I was wondering if it is possible to view the orignal CD-Key that was used to install a particular windows XP Pro. A friend of mine is thinking about reformatting his comp but has misplaced his CD_Key somehow, however the version of windows he is currently using is legit, is it possible to get the CD_Key from within win XP?

Regards

Yes ,however ,it seems the thinking on this forum is if you lost you #s , you MUST be illegit. People do lose things,unfortunatly,and untill I know for sure .......Get AIDA32.Kelly

Any advice on 'hacks' can be picked up and used by anyone, even if the original question was honest.

I'd also not access sites where illegal stuff was happening, even if my own purpose was legitimate. Who knows who you're being logged by?

Madawc Williams (East Anglia)

On the topic of hacking/illegal key using:
Nowadays there's alot of computers around with the key and license label sticked to them. It is there to view for everyone and easily reused. I don't see the difference between that and using a tool to discover the key of a certain installation. What you do with it is another case though, but you can say the same for a kitchen knife.
Just my 2 cents, hope I'm not too much off-topic.

It won't matter anyway. Upon reinstall you will be prompted to contact Microsoft and they will suppy a new key as the first will be determinced to have been used before. I had a major hard drive issue on a new computer which required 2 reinstalls and had to re-register both times with MS to activate the OS. The first time it was done via internet, the second time I had to call. As long as the first key is legit, you should have no problems.
Once you obtain the key I would recommend writing it on the top of the disc itself with a Sharpie or similar. That way you can't loose it unless you loose the CD as well.
The sticker may or may not have been put on the machine. I have one that the manufacturer enclosed the sticker in the envelope the backup CD came in.

Jim W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back