Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 start up Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardMcJunkin

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
The message "ATI MACH64 SGRAM BIOS 3.082" appeared when I restarted after shut-down. That message appears, the cursor is just below it blinking and nothing else works. Neither the mouse or keyboard.

Anyone have any suggestions to get my computer powered up again?

Thank you,
Richard McJunkin

Im not sure but i think the reference is to a video card driver. Maybe reboot in safe mode and check it out from there. Go to device mgr and see if there is a yellow or red mark there. If so uninstall the offending drivers and re-install, or at the least install drivers over existing drivers.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Is this happening every time you switch on? I presume the machine doesn't POST, but what about any beeps from the system speaker?

Try reseating the video card, or plug in a different one.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I am unable to reboot as the message comes up first before anything else is allowed to start. I will try to reseat the video card. Thanks for the replies...

You can also re-set the bios, that should allow you to reboot. Check the pc manual on how to do that as they differ. If you dont have a manual then use another pc to go to the motherboard mfgr website to see how to reset the bios (cmos).

Once you are able to reboot i still suggest you use safe mode. You can read about safe mode in your manual as well.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back