Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 support on this computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I bought a refurb desktop similar to this for a customer.
Refurbished: HP Compaq 6200 Desktop Intel Quad Core 3.1GHz 8GB 240GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 2000 DVD-RW Win 10 Pro WiFi

I didn't notice the HD Graphics 2000 part. When I got it, the video was "squished" but you couldn't change the resolution from whatever it was set at. So then I look it up and it says that Windows 10 doesn't support Intel HD Graphics 2000.
Link

So, no problem, I bought a video card that WOULD support Windows 10. But then I called the company to ask why they are selling a computer that isn't compatible with Windows 10 and they said it was. When I argued they basically told me to buzz off.

So, am I right or am I missing something?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

If you get enough technical "support" that you are not off-base in accusing them of false advertising, the Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade Commission are possible ways to remedy your situation and prevent them from misleading others. Assuming you are in the US.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

If they won't support you and told you to "buzz off" then don't support them by buying from them. You can also voice your displeasure on-line. <my two cents worth>

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Hmmm. After purchase, I didn't find anyone on Google saying that the Windows 8.1 driver should work for that video (not saying it won't). I certainly haven't tested it. Plus the seller didn't give me any help at all - just hung up on me. I was trying to help other buyers from getting stuck with something that they couldn't use without buying a new video card.

I found one for $16 on Ebay, but that's beyond the scope of a lot of people - knowing what to buy and then installing it + installing drivers!!!

Just seems to me that they shouldn't be selling those as Windows 10 compatible. Maybe they never said that it was. Sort of "As Is, buyer assumes all responsibility........" Seems a bit shady.

I believe I tried that when trying to fix it before buying the new video card. Not sure I have the motivation to uninstall the video card and try another suggestion.

My post was really about selling a computer that out of the box does not allow you to adjust the resolution. Ultimately the fix is not as important as WHY I had to fix something that should have worked out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back