Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Second Edition shutdown problem 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachang

MIS
Nov 1, 1999
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>
As you may or may not know, Win98 Second edition has a shutdown problem in which the &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen just freezes when you attempt to shut down your PC.<br>
I have gone unto the microsoft web site to investigate. It is a documented problem which Microsoft suggests that we follow a bunch of detailed steps to troubleshoot our software and our hardware. They then suggest that if all else fails, to apply a patch that they provided.<br>
I did apply the patch to each PC on my network. They seem to work fine for a little while, but the computers seem to regress back to the point where they can no longer shut down again. Here are my opinions/questions:<br>
<br>
1) it is very clear that the shutdown problem is Win98 Second Edition specific. The problem lies with Win98 SE, and not our software/hardware. So why is Microsoft suggesting that we try all these steps to troubleshoot our hardware/software?<br>
<br>
2) the patch does not work permanently, as the computers just reverts back to their original problem after a while. Does anyone else have any suggestions?<br>
<br>
My network consists of brand new Compaq Prosignias (PIII 450, 128 RAM, etc.) with the latest drivers. I just don't think it is my hardware/software. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I cant say I am a Compaq Prosignia fan or a compaq fan period. I have had endless problems with thier hardware. I install networks for a living. My company is a Sirex reseller. I also setup client purchased systems ie. Dell Gateway and occasionally Compaq. I set up win98 SE all the time and maybe saw that problem once or twice.

It should not really matter (not that much, at least) which computer company the workstations are from, since they all use parts by other manufacturer. The CPU is from Intel, the HD is from IBM, the Video card is from Diamond, etc.<br>
<br>
Compaq computers are not going anywhere anytime soon in my job, as my company is a Compaq reseller. What about other people? What are you experiences? Any remedies? Thanks. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi, <br>
I had a similar problem as Windows 98 would not shut and the computer was restarting , so that the only way to close the computer was by using "the brute force of a power switch". However the MS patch, once applied worked and is still going OK as I have no more problems and the window "It is safe..." comes on without fail.I wonder if the problem is not specific to the board you are using.<br>
Regards,<br>

I've seen the same problem with SiS/AMD-K62(etc) and Epox boards. The only solution has been to hit the power switch.<br>

<br>

This is really upsetting. The fact that the MS patch does not permanently fix this problem has cost us (and our clients) a lot of time and resources.<p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hello. Ive seen this alot too.<br>
90% of the time when I force apm 1.0 compliancy in power management settings, everything works ok.<br>

I'm having the same problem with our computers. We have 30 workstations (mostly Gateway computers) on a Novell 4.11/Client 3.1. <br>
<br>
I already applied the patch also, with no lasting results. Currently having everyone making sure they close all apps properly then using the power switch.<br>
<br>

From hearing everyone's testimonies, this does not seem to be hardware-specific, as Microsoft would like to imply. We have all sorts of hardwares (Gateway, Compaq, AMD chips) having the same shutdown problem. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

We have/had the same problems with our computers on a NetWare 4.11 network. We are now up to the 3.2.0.0 NetWare client.<br>
We have found 3 possible solutions (since Microsoft's Supplemental Shutdown patch did not work for us)...<br>
<br>
1) Have the users close out of all programs, log off the network, cancel through the attempts to log back on, and when Win98SE finishes loading, do a shut down.<br>
<br>
2) Create a shortcut using: <br>
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows<br>
(We still tell to the users to make sure to close all programs before double clicking on this shortcut).<br>
<br>
3) Download a shareware utility called Shutdown NOW! v3.72. This can be downloaded from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (there is a $25.00US charge per license to register the product).<br>
<br>
All 3 of these solutions seem to work, depending on how much you want to work at it or pay for it.<br>
<br>
**Also with the NetWare client, if you're forced to power off before the system says that it's safe to do so, and when Windows loads again, you don't get ANY icons... Before powering off again and going into Safe Mode to shut it down properly, bring up the End Task window (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and see if Wm95sast is sitting there! If it is, that seems to be the culprit! That is Novell's workstation manager. Reinstall the NetWare client using custom and make sure that you DO NOT install the workstation manager.**

I too have tested all the previous Microsoft supplemental releases to address this issue and have found none to work 100% of the time until now.<br>

<br>

I have been testing the updated USER.EXE detailed in KB article Q242934 and have found that it has been 100% successful.<br>

<br>

The issue, the way I see it, is identical to the issue experienced with IE 4 prior to SP1, where if you had any network drives mapped at shutdown it would hang. IE4 SP1 resolved this issue.<br>

<br>

This issue is not hardware specific.<br>

dxd,<br>
Thanks you for the tip. However, I went to the MS article you listed, and they provided me with a link that is suppose to lead me to the &quot;fix&quot;. But going to that link only got me to where I must contact their tech support to obtain the fix. Can you tell me an easier to get the fix, or if you have it, to forward a copy to me? Thanks for all your help. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I am a small OEM, consultant and began to see the shutdown problem with Win98SE with the very first copy I used and have seen it many, many times since SE came out last August. In fact, I spent several hours of wasted time trying to overcome the problem on the first install before I saw it was a software problem with SE. It is not consistent with every build and sometimes seems to vary with the possible varieties of OS installs. However, I have rarely seen a problem upon startup after shutting the power down when the "waiting" screen is still visible after waiting a few seconds before power off.

You repeated the content of my second reply to this thread (which, mysteriously, seems to be missing from the forum). In any case, bookfndr, thanks for providing the answer. When in doubt, shut it down. Windows finishes its internal housekeeping within a few seconds of a shut-down. It isn't always able to tell you that it's okay to hit the power switch.<br>
<br>
<br>

My problem is just a little different; after a crash and re-install (upgrade version of 98SE), my APM options are all grayed out.&nbsp;&nbsp;Trying to fix everything, I also lost all power management functions.&nbsp;&nbsp;The PC (PII-333) shuts down properly most times, and it always comes back to life properly... but the power management is shot to bits.&nbsp;&nbsp;BIOS settings take effect if I boot to DOS, but *NOT* if I boot to Windows 98SE.<br><br>Odd.<br><br>Thanks, all.

Hello<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I've also seen this problems quite a lot. Theres a shutdow updat available from Microsfts webpage. Just run&nbsp;&nbsp;the exe and alls ok.<br>

I too have Dells, Compaq and HP with Netware clients 3.2 and have had no solution that is 100% effective.&nbsp;&nbsp;The patch only works temporarily.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Ive had the same problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Put the fix on about 3 weeks ago and now again I'm having the same problem&nbsp;&nbsp;BUT I have installed a lot of software since the fix.&nbsp;&nbsp;Not sure if it is all MS 98

dxd wrote:<br>&lt;&lt; I&nbsp;&nbsp;have been testing the updated USER.EXE detailed in KB article Q242934 and have found that it has been 100% successful. &gt;&gt;<br>I went to ms support and the user.exe file is not posted publicly.&nbsp;&nbsp;Can you post this file for download.<br>thnx.<br><br>I did try the shareware program &quot;shutdown now!&quot; <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> It seems to work on all pc's.

I've haved the same problem from time to time. Just power down an restart. The patch only works 75% of the time. I have a cyber room that runs 5 win98se systems, So what if you do a hard down, then you know if your drivers are good. my systems stay up for anyware up too 30 days. If they hang at shut down I just reboot and&nbsp;&nbsp;SanDK<br>&nbsp;runs.THIS is from someone who HATES MS. I tell my computers what they DO, not what want to do. <p>R & G Computers<br><a href=mailto:rafales@carnegienet.net>rafales@carnegienet.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back