Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why No Pagefile? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

XP2000

Programmer
Dec 14, 2001
GB
I have inherited a Dell Poweredge 860 system with SBS 2003.

I have just noticed that it has been configured NOT to use a pagefile. It has 4GB RAM and is running ISA and Exchange for about 10 users with roaming profiles.

The 25GB space on the c: partition is running very low (under 200MB free) and I realise that I need to resize the partitions and enlarge the c:\ partition (there is plenfty of free space to re-allocate from the d:\ drive)

I intend to enlarge the c: drive from the existing 25GB to maybe 40GB+

My questions:

1/ Is there a good reason NOT to have a pagefile in SBS 2003?

2/ Does SBS 2003 disable the pagefile automatically if the c:\ drive partition is running low on space?

3/ Can anybody used/recommend the "Easeus" re-partitioning tool on their server?

Thanks.

Hi there,

My views are:

1. No there isn't a good reason I can think of, we always use Page Files.

2. No it doesn't disable the page file

3. Never heard of that tool, but I can recommend Disk Director.

I just wanted to check that are also definatly viewing hidden and protected OS files? If you weren't you wouldn't see it.

You can also check in the Advanced System Properties.

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

Interested in my personal blog?

I'm not even sure your system could run tolerably without a pagefile, if at all. My experienced guess is that the pagefile got moved over to the D: drive when space got short on C:. I've done that several times myself.

When you go into the pagefile config, click on the D: drive and see what it shows. You may have overlooked that.

1. NO!
2. NO!
3. Don't know.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Thanks, that was something I had overlooked.
The pagefile has indeed been moved to the d:\ drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back