Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHOOPS - lost source code...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITfromZX81

Programmer
May 18, 2004
CA
Hey all,

Well, I've done it - I lost the source code to a Delphi program I was working on - I have all the EXEs but I had two hard drive crashes in close succession and everything else was backed up except for the source to this program.
[I kind of can't believe this as I've got copies of everything else and I was sure I had a backup of this also but apparently not]

Any ideas other than starting over?

Thanks,

There are businesses that specialize in recovering data from crashed drives -- for a fee.

Not the one Zathras, not the one(grin)

[can't really afford that option]

Use a tool like Winhex to get byte level access to your drive, you may well be able to recover at least part of your text. The demo version is a free download, so it wont cost you anything!!

Steve [The sane]: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

You can only reverse-engine the forms but not source code. But that's the case with Delphi 3 and 5. I don't know about the rest (never have the need to find out), but I think it's still the same. Otherwise, everyone will reverse-engine your .exe and that would be undesirable. :p

That happened to me over a year ago. I only lost the last the last revision level, but that was enough to lose a contract because I could not deliver on time. Since then, I keep all of by development source on a 4G flash drive. They are cheep when you consider the alternative.

Roo
Delphi Rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back