Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which is more secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2002
US
If you had your choice between a wireless router, and one that is not. Are they both secure? Or is the wireless router less secure. I am asking cause my friend said that the guy at the Best Buy store told him to stay away from wireless router cause he said anyone going by, or in the neighborhood could hack them. I question this... I say it couldn't be because who in their right mind would make a wireless router knowing that it is so insecure? Am I right, or wrong on this?

-both wireless and wired is the same in terms security, be aware that the so called "firewall" in the router doesn't have a firewall software such as zone alarm, you still need to purchase a software firewall, the only protection that it has is that the IP address is NATted, meaning the IP of the computers that are connected in the router will obtain a private IP address.

i believe that the routers has built in firewall...and try to ask the manufacturer of your router if they have the security by enabling the encryption on the router itself...k! "cursed be every one that curseth thee, and blessed be he that blesseth thee ."

i believe that the routers has built in firewall...and try to ask the manufacturer of your router if they have the security by enabling the encryption on the router itself...k!
[ponytails]
"cursed be every one that curseth thee, and blessed be he that blesseth thee ."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back