Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What language was Windows written in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmay3141

Programmer
Dec 3, 2002
US
I'm asking mostly out of curiosity. Does anyone know?

Believe it or not I understand that there is also some VB lurking in there somewhere.....

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

And your justification for this is?

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Actually, I think that this is one of those situation where the onus is on you to demonstrate that bits of Windows are written in VB, not for me to demonstrate that they are not.

However, just for starters consider the following: firstly, at no point has any version of VB ever compiled to a standalone application. It requires a number of runtime libraries, that themselves require Windows and the Windows API. The existence of the VB5 and VB6 runtime libraries. Secondly, up until version 6, VB has ben obstinately single-threaded - not exactly useful in putting together a multitaking OS. Thirdly, current useful versions of Windows are 32-bit, but developement of the 32-bit Windows platform predates the existence of any 32-bit version of VB. Fourthly, the (current) iterations of the Windows OS expose themselves as a set of API calls (yes, there are COM wrapper above some of these, but these tend to be additional services layered on top of the actual OS); VB cannot create anything apart from COM libraries, so it would be difficult for parts of the OS to be written in it.

It is true that there are some tools written or partially written in VB, but they are not part of the OS. Delete them and Windows will not grind to a halt.

It's not confirmed but I heard that .NET platform is fully (maybe mostly) written in C#. If this is true, future versions of Windows may be written in C# as well.

So we got the whole family of C downthere starting from the grandma ASM. :p

Get a copy of Show Stopper!:The Breaknet Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft by G. Pascal Zachary (1994). It's mostly C folks.

The simplest answer was: Windows is written in English (see Oxford dictionary etc)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back