Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What browsers should I be testing with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Programmer
Jun 13, 2000
GB
Visit site
I have IE5,AOL(new one) N4.6 and I think I also need opera but what about no-script old browsers and ones that don't understand graphics. <br><br>Also I think a version of IE4 or even 3 may be useful, if it is how do you get it on a win98 machine with IE5 already installed (with no uninstall).<br><br>Any and all advise is welcome, this subject is a real minefield.<br><br>Naz

&nbsp;&nbsp;My rule of tumb, is to always test out with one version before the latest in both IE and NS.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I also make good use of my counter that also keeps tab of users browsers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most still use NS 4, very little people are using NS 5, actually, more people are using NS 3 than they are using NS 5.&nbsp;&nbsp;As for IE, I found that most are usign IE 5 and 4.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I rarely ever see any other browsers on my site, even though my first SF site is still Lynks compatible.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope this helps. <p>Andre Vandal<br><a href=mailto:dezign@canada.com>dezign@canada.com</a><br><a href= Dezign's Sites</a><br>A bit of eveything Celestial

statistics say that more people use IE5 than most other browsers.<br><br>but forget the stats- NN6 is what people will be using in the future. it's also the most standards-compliant browser, so your code has a better chance of looking the way it's &quot;supposed to&quot; (as in, per order of third party W3C, not some browser with proprietary code).<br><br>I'd wait until NN6 has a real release before I'd start worrying too much, though... <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

Thanks for the input, you've set my mind at rest somewhat. <br><br>I agree NN6 looks like a serious step in the direction of standardisation.<br><br>Naz <p>Guy<br><a href=mailto:guy@noisygraphics.co.uk>guy@noisygraphics.co.uk</a><br><a href=dont bother I'm still agonising over the text blurb.>Noisy Graphics</a><br>Experienced multimedia and game content artist, lots of 3d experience, also known to draw pictures. Fast becoming site designer and through pain and lack of sleep a coder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back