Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web site hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I occasionally get a chance to do IT moonlighting projects. To maybe help that happen a little more often, I've been thinking of trying to set up a website/blog. I'm not in a position to host it myself and would be looking to use a free hosting provider. I know a lot of free hosters support themselves by feeding ads on the hosted sites.

Does anyone know of a hoster that gives site operators a cut of the ad revenue based on their own site's activiy?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

There probably aren't any. In these arrangements everybody gets something. You get free hosting, they get ad revenue. If you want a cut of ad revenue you're probably going to pay for hosting.

It just doesn't make business sense to say "sure, you can use my web servers for free AND make money off of them."

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

True. I pay for web hosting, but not much (I don't think anyway) and I get excellent service.

You could look here and see what you think.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I had heard about a site (I think it was actually YouTube) that made deals with their top hit getters. It made me think this could be a viable business model since you'd be attracting sites that expect to get a lot of traffic rather than casual vanity sites and blogs. Since everything I've ever thought of has already been done ;-), this must be out there somewhere.

Fee, I'll take a look there when I get a chance. Thanks.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Most free hosts are way overloaded and consequently have connection related problems. However, with that said, 000webhost is not bad and is not ad driven.

If you really want FREE, you could consider looking at free blog sites like Blogger or Wordpress.com rather than plain web space.

Frankly, though, you can get perfectly good web space for, say, £30 a year. That's not a lot of money to advertise your business, and the kind of sum that you can easily recoup with Google ads, Amazon links etc. if you feel the need.

Getting something free isn't always the best value solution.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

ChrisHunt said:
and the kind of sum that you can easily recoup with Google ads, Amazon links etc.

Total earnings on my Google Adwords to date: $.01

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Crap. That means that I'm a penny in the hole! 3 cents, after this post! [rofl]

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Why do you want Free hosting that could be taken away from you without a moments notice?

There are some decent hosting companies out their that will give you a good account for just a few quid. If your serious about your site then dont risk a free host... Additionally google looks down on free hosts so dont do it mate

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back