Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WEB HOSTING... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddnima

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
US
Hi to all,

I have a STUPID question that i need to ask. So please be gentle.... Its been a while since I last touch my webserver.

Heres the scenario...

I have a
W2K server in one box.
1 NIC card connected outside with a static IP address.
Im hosting a website too...
Right now I have 5 static ipaddress that I can use.

QUESTION...

Do I have to add additional physical NIC card and connect to the router? I told you its stupid... :(

If not... How to do it? Are you saying that I can use 5 static IP addresses in one physical NIC?

How to tell W2K that it has 5 static IP address so later on I can choose it as one of the selection in hosting a website.

Thank you all...

You do NOT need to install additional NICs. Just go into the TCP/IP properties for the NIC, click the advanced tab and you can add additional IP addresses. Once they are entered there you will be able to select those IPs for your additional web sites.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Side note: it is not necessary to have a unique IP for each web site because you can also use Host Headers.

Regards,

Mark

Marcdmac, I will try this right away.

On your second note. You said that I can do Host Headers. I tried to do research on that because I also want to try that but the more I read the more my mind and eyes roll. I thinks it over my head.

But, can you explain how to achieve this, for a lowtech guy like me?

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Mark, Thank you, it worked. Told you that its a stupid question. Its been there all the time in front of me and I dont even know how to use it. :)

Now what about host headers.

Host headers are simple. First create multiple sites.

Edit the properties of each site. Next to where you specify the IP address there is an advanced button. Click that. Now you can add host headers. You have a choice of using the same port (80 default) or giving different sites different port numbers. Each site will have a default of port 80 with no name in it. Edit that to give it a name.

All that is left to do is set up your DNS. Point each host header address to the same IP address and you are all done.

Let me know if this isn't clear enough as I am going by memory.

Regards,

Mark

Ok, here are the development.... Mark thanks a lot.... I am learning a bunch here, so please dont get tired yet.

I just bought my domain for two years for $12.00. It is parked right now.

I also am in T1 connection with static ip addresses.

Unfortunately, I dont know how to connect them. Called the company I bought my domain from and they said that since it is parked I need to have a DNS or something so I can link it to my static ip. But they need to charge me 9 dollars extra per year.

That sounds mighty suspicious.

The normal circumstance is that you register your domain name. With that registration should come instructions on how to set your name servers.

Typically you would pay a seperate company to host your site and you would point the DNS to your hosting company.

If you are going to host it yourself and you have public IPs, then you could direct to your own DNS server or your ISPs DNS server.

Sounds to me like you went to the host and they did the registration for you, and want to charge you more a month for a one time deal.

What is your domain name? If you do a whois lookup you should be able to find out who the registrar is and might be able to circumvent the host if that is who you are dealing with.

Regards,

Mark

Actually indeed it is very helpful...

I went to my domains control panel and changed my names servers to ns1.mydomain.com since they offer free url forwarding. I'm just waiting because it takes time to change nameservers.

Yup, they charged me just for the registration which 6 dollars a year. But they did not include the forwarding and the rest of the package... thats why its so cheap :( But thats ok, I just hopes that the one I just did works...

Thanks a lot Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back