Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k gaining time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry18

Technical User
Jun 15, 2004
GB
Has anyone come across a problem where W2K server gains time ?(about 5 minutes a day) Rebooting the server seems to correct it so I assume the BIOS time is correct. Any thoughts?

Have you got the clock configuered to update time from another server?

The best process is to have it set to auto-update from the interet, can garentee that it is corrct then. also, what are you referencing the time difference against? you clients?

If so it maybe the clients clocks that are lagging behind the server!?

Perhaps a machine with the incorrect time is running as an NTP servers and when you restart the server it picks up the correct time from another server on a login script?

Do you have the same problem with any win2000 workstations or other 2000 servers?

Many thanks for your response.
No, the server does not take the time from another machine. However the PC's are taking the time from the server in question which is causing the problem. They have installed something called 'Feature Win Time' but that is in response to the problem. Any other thoughts??

On the server in question; at the command prompt type:

net time /querysntp

Are any servers displayed?

Thanks again.
Unfortunately I can't try the command at present. I'll post the result of your suggestion on here when possible.
What's your thinking ?

If the server is pulling the time from another machine, rather than being issues it then it should appear after typing in that command. Otherwise it should reveal no names.

Many thanks for you help again.
I've just discovered that the problem maybe caused by some monitoring s/w which maybe changing the interupt request rates. There is an update which will be loaded later in the week. I will post the result on here.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back