Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN user

Status
Not open for further replies.

uecorp

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2002
US
One of my co-workers will be working from home and I want to allow them access via a VPN connection. Their office workstation will remain for them to use when they are in the office. They will have a new workstation setup at their home to use. Same OS, (Windows 2000 Pro)connecting to a Windows 2000 server.

This is probably a dumb question: Can they login from there home workstation using the same name that they used from the office workstation? In other words, can I setup their new system with the same user name? Will the SID of the home system prevent them from logging in like they are able to do at the office?

Thanks.

Dan

I'll assume that you are using RRAS and AD to do your VPN. The authN is going to be with the user's credentials as they are in your domain.

So, it really doesn't matter wha the SID of the user or the computer at the remote is - the authentication is going to be for the username and password AS IF they were at work.

Don't forget that you have to allow them access if AD and the rules change to some degree if in mixed mode as compared to native.

Ask if you need a clarification. Otherwise, the information is readily available.

MSServerMVP

Here's the way I handle off-site workers...

Build the computer at work exactly the same as any other.
Join it to the domain as normal.
Log on as the user to create the local profile.

When they take the computer off-site, they just log on normally using the cached account.

When the users connects to the network with the VPN, any updates (such as anti-virus) can be pushed then.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back