Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VMS Disk Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubcap1324

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
US
I have a hard drive that has went bad on my vms server. Tapes were bad and cannot restore. ANyone know of any companies out there that recover data in vms format?

Thanks

hubcap1324,

Any of the major recovery firms with clean room capabilities should be able to accomplish the task.

What is needed is a recovery of the physical image of the disk. Once that is done (and there may be some loss of data if there are actually bad spots on the disk that are not readable).

Re-reading the posting, I have one question: Is the drive actually bad? Or is the drive unmountable? If the data can be read, then it MAY be possible to recover the file structure. I have done this, is can be done, but it is tedious and time consuming.

Once the physical disk data has been recovered, then the task of reconstructing the file system can proceed.

I cannot stress enough that you should exercise extreme care. I generally recommend that this category of task not be attempted by any but those who have a good understanding of the file system and its structures. There is a large potential for problems.

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back