Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic only for Administrators ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benja1

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
DE
Hello

I am running some Windows2000 prof Workstations and now 2 usern need VBA under Corel Draw 10.
SP2 is installed.

We updated to Win2000 a while ago. With Win NT4 that was no Problem but now when a user who is not Administrator tries to start the Visual Basic Editor, a Message saying "Visual Basic is not (properly) installed. Please install it ..." And it discribes how to do it.
But an Admin can start the VB Editor.

Has anybody an idea how I can solve this problem without giving the users administrator-rights ?

Thank you.

We are also running W2K and yes that is the problem. windows 2000 came with extra security protocols that will not allow any one but admin and power users to access certain functions. You will also notice that if you are not logged under admin or power user you will not be able to view flash movies and components inside ie. You can inside netscape though. you can ask your i.s. dept to set those people who use certain things like VB as power users. What this does is allow those upper level functions while still prohibiting them from changing things like the registry.

Hello

As the users are not logging in localy but through active directory that is not reallya solution.
power-users do no exist there as a group to put the users into.

If I cannot find another solution (ans it seems I will not...) I think I will create local power-user-accounts (not in active directory) and users who need VB in Corel DRaw must use a special PC with a special account.

Not the best solution though but at least a solution :)

All is not lost.

Here is what you need to do to resolve this.
Problem

It is very important to make a backup of your Windows registry prior to proceeding with the following instructions.

1. Log on as the Administrator (The one in which installed the application)
2 Click Start - Run
3. Type regedit and hit the Enter key
4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\COREL\CorelDRAW\10.0
5. When the key is highlighted, select REGISTRY - EXPORT REGISTRY FILE
6. Select a path to save the exported registry file that will be accessible to all users
7. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\COREL\PHOTO-PAINT\10.0
8. When the key is highlighted, select REGISTRY - EXPORT REGISTRY FILE
9. Select a path to save the exported registry file that will be accessible to all users
10. Now Logoff as the Administrator
11. Logon as one of the users
12. Go to the path where the exported registry files were saved and double click each one
13. Select YES to add to the registry
14. Repeat the last three steps (11-13) for each user

That should do it

Great, it works.

Thank you !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back