Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Software on Win 2000 server network??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hppsf

Technical User
Aug 28, 2001
US
Can anyone recommend anti-virus software that can scan each hard drive when the PC logs onto the network. The network runs windows 2000 server and 24 pc's. There are about 30 users who log into the network. I have set up roaming profiles for all the users.

Sophos works well - its really designed as a network system. You run a server program and it can push workstation installations. It is really great from a standpoint of not causing system instability or slowdown - but at the expense of the workstation user isn't prompted much when a virus is encountered.

I use Trend AntiVirus Software...
ServerProtect on win2k servers,
ScanMail on Exchange 5.5 Servers
PC-Cillin 2000 on XP Workstations
and Trend VCS for updating servers etc....

It installed easilly, works brilliantly, and gives me peace of mind...

try it at
cheers,

Jon. :) ----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

hey hppfs..u better try with norton corporate edition which u load on server and then on clints with client installation . bye

Based on your question you actually need a virus solution that will scan the server and push new virus signatures to the workstations automatically (workstation scan themselves to eliminate server load). There are several companies out there that offer this, here are a few:

McAfee Netshield for NT/2000 Symantec Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition Computer Associates eTrust AntiVirus
All 3 above require seperate licenses for each client workstation that you are sending the signatures to. The server software itself isn't that expensive and the client licenses average from $15-45 for each workstation. They even offer a server license with so many client licenses. Since you have 24 computes I would buy 25 client licenses (1 extra than you need) just because there are price discounts starting with 25 licenses.

Hope this helps.

We use McAfee Asap, it doesn't use much individual computer resources (rumor-based) and the clients get the updates automatically from McAfee.com web site (or each other.)
As an Admin, you log onto the McAfee web site and enter your password to review what all the machines are doing, last time they updated, last time one of the scanners found a virus, and what happened to it. It has reports for viruses found each month, virus type, and which machines are being infected.
We installed this after Nimda and it has been super. Only snag is it doesn't work with another McAfee product, Groupshield, which was their previous mail server AV product (they have come out with a new managed mail service, so Asap seems to have removed some vital components as it automatically removes any other AV products when installed.)

Everyone's going to have a different opinion aren't they based on what they use. My personal opinion is Sophos. AS previously stated it's very simple to install and manage. Not sure I entirley agree with "the user isn't prompted much when a virus is encountered" part. You can set up Sophos on the clients to prompt when a virus is encountered, disinfect straight away (with prompt), or move to a seperate folder. It will also send a network message ot to a designated set of people so you always know what's going on on your network. Upgrades are simple. Install the new IDE files (Virus Identity files), change the rollout number and the clients update the next time they check in (this can also be set).

Hope this is of some help.

Callahan.

Norton Coporate is good
but it all depends on your needs
Norton Coporate Costs around 400 dolars
it mainly built for offices maintaing 40+ pc
so u decide if the cost is worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back