Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIDEOING COMPATABILITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveit

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have never used video chats with friends but feel it is time to do so. I know Skype is the program in Windows 10 but can anyone tell me if you can use say Skype and talk to someone who uses Messenger?

You need Skype at both ends.

Try Zoom instead.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

There are so many ways to do this. It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to pay for it, etc. Thanks to COVID-19, a lot of businesses and even civic groups have been looking at this. I had to find something for our Boy Scout troop to keep in touch. I ended up using Google Hangouts, mainly because the free version of Zoom limits you to 45 minutes. If you're only doing one-on-one video chats, there are even more options for you. Apple phones use FaceTime, Google (android) has Duo, and you can even use FaceBook messenger to video chat. As BionicJohn mentioned, all parties have to use the same application.

LoPath
Maintain HiPath 4000 V5 & V6, OpenScape Xpert V4 & V6, OpenScape Xpressions V7, OpenScape Contact Center V8, OpenScape Voice V9

I was hoping one would work with all. My friends have Skype, Whatsapp, Messenger and Zoom. I think it is easier to just phone them and talk!!

Thanks for the info.

There is no single app that works with all other messenger apps. They are all proprietary.

IMO, Skype is a cancer on your computer. I hates it. Many do use it, but it will suck the life out of older computers. My parents were having all kinds of weird problems with their computer until I uninstalled Skype. Then it was golden.

Zoom has some security issues right now. Just Google "zoom hacked". I even read a story about a woman who's computer was being remotely controlled via zoom and had over $65k stolen from her bank account. Zoom is purely peer to peer with poor security. That's a bad combination.

Webex is strong and doesn't require anything to be installed on everyone's computers. If you have an account, you just send a URL to people and that's all that's needed to get them to join. They click, they're in.

There are others, but these are the ones I have experience with.

Facebook Messenger also allows for video chats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back