Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Custom fields problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidamj

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2005
US
I have created custom fields in both the resource and task views. When I go to insert the field from say a resource sheet to the Ghantt View it wont let me. How can I insert a custom field from one to the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am working with Project 2003.

What do you mean "Won't let you". We're going to need a lot more information than that.

You are aware, of course, that fields such as Number1 which is visible in the Task view, is not the same as Number1 which is visible in the Resource view.

I understand that they are different. What I need to know is how to get say Number1 which is visible on the Resource view and make it visible in the task view. Is there any other information you need to help me?

I played around for a bit and can't find a simple answer to your question. Actually, I'm not surprised. Formulas are fairly limited in what they can see. I didn't find, for example, any way to work with indexes/subscripts or how to do looping and you'll need both for what you want to do

I think you'll have to combine some VBA to do the indirect stuff -- i.e. get the resource, get the task IDs that the resource is on, get each task, grab the value in Number1 and bring it back. And what about those occasions when the resource is on multiple tasks: which Number1 do you use?

The reverse (at a task and looking for Resource information) has similar issues.

The vba isn't rocket science and it sounds to me as if you know how to handle that.

Best I can suggest, then, is to use VBA to update (for example) Number2 and then use Number2 as one of the fields in the formula for Number1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back