Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using access 2003 mdb online 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMode

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
GB
Stupid question, i have a fairly simple sales database used to give the sales team their prospects and record their activity. The sales team are remote and need to use a central resource, it seems that putting it online on my website is the most straight forward solution.

How do I set up and share my ms access 2003 database via my website?

My website host is 1and1.co.uk

I have limited knowledge of coding an mdb and nothing at all about web sites or any coding languages - there is lots of chatter about php etc that is making my eyes glaze...

Is there a utility that helps me convert my mdb and put it on my website?

Any and all help most appreciated.

Thanks, I will try that.

For future reference, what should I invest time in learning / understanding if I want to manage this kind of data on a website?

I use classic ASP for most of my web development. This is old technology and has been replaced by dot net apps. If I was just starting, I would go with dot net.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Sounds like I've kicked .Net a just a little more than Duane but not much... I know just enough to poin a couple things.

There are several presentation architectures to consider in .Net. The ones I know of are ASP.Net, Silverlight and MVC. MVC is the latest and if I'm not mistaken takes advantage of the latest HTML 5 standard (which means definitely no IE 8 or earlier support). Silverlight requires the user to install something extra but should work in earlier browsers and I know very little about ASP.Net.

MVC is the new 'in' thing for .Net and is where I'd go if starting something new.

excellent stuff. thanks for these helpful suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back