Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Printer Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshajkur

Technical User
Sep 10, 2001
US
I have a Hewlett-Packard 970cse Deskjet Printer that is configured to use a USB cable. I have not been able to get the printer to work inspite of adding the latest drivers. There are no flags in the device manager.

The following is displayed:
USB Hewlette-Packard Deskjets-
Deskjet070C #SG97T1WOBCJT

What does this mean and how can I get this very expensive printer to work using the USB port?

I'm using Windows 98 SE,400Mhz, 384MB Ram.

Did you do the proper USB installation? Here's a quick fix.

1. Turn on PC first before connetting your printer
2. Make sure to remove old printer drivers completely. If you install from CD, you may require to remove.
3. After that, turn on the printer and connect the USB cable.
4. Windows should detect new device.
5. Direct it to where the drivers are. Usually on the CD.
6. If no detection after driver removal, restart PC, then repeat step 3.

This is the way I solve all my USB installation problems. Hope it works for you.

-yuxej

Thank you the directions are very clear. The HP Deskjet 970cse is one of the most difficult and painstaking printer drivers to install. I have written HP about this problem in the past and they have since developed an online troubleshotting and driver installation program. It does'nt work either.

HP diagnostics indicate that I'm using the most up to date driver and that the program is installed properly. No errors are shown, however the printer still won't work. If I raise the printer lid, I can hear the printer motor initialize and then stop.

I also performed this Diagnostic check:
Restart computer,
Hold down the control key during startup,
select 'Command Prompt' press enter,
type DIR>LPT1 at the C:\prompt,
press 'Enter'

Windows never finds the printer and no errors messages are given. No errors or files are missing from the current and most updated version of Win 98 SE, IE 6. Windows works fine, except occaisionally seems unable to find its own end. In other words runs loose, inspite of constant defraging with Diskeeper.

I hope this response will help clarify my issue with the printer. Please let me know, if I can provide additional information, Thank you.

I am surmising here that the USB ports are all functional. If you have installed a PCI USB card, you must ensure that all the USB Hubs are enabled. This occurs after you have loaded the drivers and shut down and started up again. It will seem to be forever finding new hardware and loading the drivers for it but let it go on and on. It will load properly if left alone. If you have inbuilt USB, look under Features in the bios and make sure USB is enabled.
Other than that buy a cheap old Lexmark or Cannon, put up with the lack of performance and sell the HP to some other poor unsuspecting soul!

Here is one for HP deskjets that have a paper loading shute
that has a door on it. If your printer had a closable door, then it has lugs to lock it, These lugs engage sensors, if the door is not closed compleatly and the lugs are not engaged, the printer will shut down.

This is especially true if the printer turns on for about 3 seconds and then shuts down.

You must turn the lock until you you hear and feel it lock.

A way to test the sensors is to: turn off the printer, remove the door and push in the sensor with a pencil or paperclip, etc. hold it in.

Then turn on the PC, it the PC turns on, the senor is OK.
If not the sensor is bad and must be replaced.

HP tech support ran up a $40 phone bill and issued my a R/A # for my My HP deskjet 1220psc, before I found the problem myself.

Regards, Robert

visit:

Unbelievable!,.....that was it! After two years, fifteen boards my HP Deskjet 970cse printer problem has been solved. Hewlett-Packard technical service was unable to resolved this issue with their printer.

Your solution is so good that it should be published for others to see. Believe other HP Deskjet printer owners have experienced the same. I always said this was the Best Tech Site and you have just proved it.

Thank You soooooo much for your help, I just had to let you know it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back