Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB printer does not communicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

apj77

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
CA
I am not much of a hardware person could someone please help me out. I have a usb printer that gets detected on startup but cannot communicate when I set it up. Is the port for a usb printer lpt1? The OS is Windows ME.

The printer works fine when I connect it to my laptop but not the desktop.

Thanks,
Adam

No, a USB printer cannot use LPT1, which is a parallel connection. Have you installed the printer software on this machine? Typically you need to install the software first, then when you plug in the USB cable it will find the correct drivers that were installed with your software.

I have installed the printer software and the printer is recognized but will not print. Under the list of ports in the printer properties there is no USB port.

Thanks for your help.

Two questions, what does your laptop say the port name is for the printer port and after starting the computer with the printer unplugged what does your computer say when you plug the printer in? If all else fails unplug the printer, remove/uninstall the print drivers and printers in control panel then restart the computer. reinstall the drivers and then restart the computer. After the restart plug in the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back