Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB PC Card Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

john82

Technical User
Mar 24, 2006
US
I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered a problem with a USB Card Reader used for backups on an S87XX server. I have had multiple instances of the thing locking up when a user attempts to run a backup more than once. When you go in later and try to run a backup, it states "BACKUP ALREADY IN PROGRESS". The only way I know of to resolve this issue is via a reboot of the server. I am basically wondering if there is a shell command that will release that backup, so I no longer have to reboot the server.

You should not have to reboot the server to resolve this. What release are you running on the servers, as I do recall a few patches out there for 2.2. Also, again depending on the release, you can simply unplug the usb cable from the server. Generally if all patches are up to date, I have found that replacing the flash card is the fix. For kicks and giggles, does this happen on both servers? Try swapping the readers and/or the cards.

**The question may not be the technology, but the competency of the support people.**

This really happens on all versions, patch or no patch, pulling the usb and replacing the card does not work, the process is hung in the server not the reader.

I baby sit 10 pairs of 8700's all are at release 3.X.X and not one has had this issue you are encountering. I have had other customers at release 2.X that have experienced it however.

**The question may not be the technology, but the competency of the support people.**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back