Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Cable length

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluealhunter

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2004
US
I'm looking a installing an interactive touch screen for on a conference room table/podium that will connect to the workstation via a 25ft cable. Is this too long a run for USB? I know there are USB extenders but don't know at what point one should be utilized. Any and all advise is appreciated.

yes the distance is limited to 5 meters. you can add hubs or extenders to increase the distance. You should use them when you need the devices further than 15 feet.

is an excellent source for usb products.
some of the stuff they have blows my mind.

that distance limit is the limit the standard states. longer distances have been gotten but it seems to be on a case by case basis, different manufacturers use dirrerent circuitry that may/may not be limited to the 5 meter distance. If you think the hubs/extenders are too expensive try it without them and see if you have any luck, it won't hurt to try.

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I think it depends on what your using the USB extender on to determine if it will work. For instance I used a 25ft cable on a net cam and it worked just fine. However in a monitor sistuation that might be another story. My take is that it's less expensive and easier to take back the cable and try it than to buy the hubs and extenders.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back