Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

us robotics 56k modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

davlam

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
GB
hi,

i have my bro-in-law's pc (again) to gut out and fix...

it's all mostly done now but i have a query..

the connection speed only gets to 36k max...it's connected at the moment using my phone line through my isp (firefly) with which i usually get 48-52k connection via the 56k modem on my pc..

this pc used to be mine many years ago, then i gave it to him when i got my newer ones, and i remember getting at least 44k connection speed every time with freeserve......

the spec of his machine is pIII 450 , 448 meg ram, 13 gig HD (which i've gutted down to used space of only 2 gig), running win me (which i'm going to rip out and put 98se back on..i hope)

can anyone suggest why this might be and what i can do to improve the connection speed...

cheers,

davlam

p.s. he says this is the max he gets at home using his freeserve account as well

added:his pc is in my house at the mo, and when i use my isp dial up on his pc using my bt line i only get 36k but on my pc i get 48-52k..

so .. the only difference are the pcs ... and just wondered why when i know his pc's modem has connected higher in the past that it won't go past 36k now ...

Maybe something has changed on the computer. Can be any number of things.

If its a winmodem, best disable as many background programs as you can to free up those cpu cycles.

Might reinstall the modem driver, and try an initialization string.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back