Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent help failover 2801

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitchen

MIS
Jun 6, 2003
US
I have two 2801 routers. One of the routers has a t1 wic. The outside t1 wic has an ip of 10.1.1.1 and the inside has and ip of 10.1.1.2
The second router is a vpn connection that will be used for redundency. The inside ip is 192.168.1.1 and the outside ip is 10.50.1.1

How can I set these up so if the t1 router or (circuit) goes down it will fail over to the vpn connection.

Orginaly i put static routes on the servers with metrics but that doesn't work unless the inside interface of the t1 router is down.

Thanks in advance

How do your clients connect to either the 192.168.1.1 or the 10.1.1.2 interfaces? They're obviously on separate networks, so is there another router or layer3 switch between your hosts and the T-1/VPN routers? I was going to say you could use a more advanced routing protocol like OSPF or EIGRP, but that will only work if you have another layer3 device between your clients/servers, and your edge routers.

Basically, the problem is, if your hosts are pointing at say, 10.1.1.2 for their default gateway, you'd need that to change to another gateway on the same network (you can't just change it to 192.168.1.1, or even create a secondary route to it, because that's on a different IP network).

Sounds to me like you want to achieve something that looks like this:
|---> Router1 (T-1)
Hosts --> Layer3 Switch --> | (OSPF or EIGRP routing)
|---> Router2 (VPN)

Hosts' default gateway would be a vlan interface on the Layer3 switch, which would then route based on OSPF or EIGRP to whichever interface has least cost, or if T-1 is down, to the VPN router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back