Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urban Cookie Directive

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
With the imminent implementation of the new Cookie laws.

Does anyone have any direction as to the best way of encouraging visitors to your site to accept cookies and reassure them that they won't bite?

Cheers,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

MIME::Lite TLS Email Encryption - Perl v0.02 beta

It's not British, it's European!

Either way, do you have any suggestions?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Just a thought... If you have a website and sell to or target a European country, you might want to go find out about it!

I'm not sure what power this EU directive has over sites not hosted in Europe or if that makes a difference if a UK company hosts outside the EU.

But the fine can be up to £500,000.00 GBP!

Do you think UK companies can igonre the regulation if their website is hosted in the USA?

According to the "law" it applies to all websites. It doesn't specify whether it's European or not, yet how could a law made in Europe apply to Americans? And if it does apply to Americans, how come I haven't heard about it from anywhere else?

Want to learn more about JavaScript? Visit my JavaScript Blog:

I know, which is why I'm struggling to get to grips with it, understand its real implications, whether I can ignore it if I don't host in the EU etc..

I don't see Google / Facebook etc. doing anything about it, yet it affects every website in EU that uses these services / plugins, it's a total mess!

On my personal site, I've removed GOAN, I'd rather have a happy visitor and not know about it than an unhappy bounce in my GOAN stats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back