Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading disks in RAID 1 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

laytoncy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2006
US
I run a ProLiant ML330 with 2 36 GB drives currently in a RAID 1 configuratin with a 12 GB partition on C: and a 22 GB partition on E:. The C: partition has less than 1 GB of free data because of previous admins installing apps/programs to this partition. I'd like to upgrade to 2 larger drives. I want to know what is the best way to do this upgrade. Is it possible to break the mirror, remove one drive and replace it with a larger drive and rebuild the mirror with the new drive. I assume I can't change the partition size at this point but I'm not sure. Once the mirror is rebuilt can I then break it again and put in the 2nd new drive and rebuild the mirror. At that point can I use a 3rd party app to increase the partition size on C: and E: to utilize the larger disk size. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated as the C: partition decreases in size daily thanks to SQL.

You do not need to break the mirror, just remove a drive, let it rebuild completely,then replace the other drive and let it also complete a rebuild.
Acronis will allow you to add the additional space to the original raid size and adjust the partition sizes.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Sorry for the delay, I just saw that someone had replied to my post. Thanks for your help.

Let me make sure I have this straight before proceeding with this process.

I'm assuming with the server shut down I remove a drive then boot the server and let it rebuild completely. Then shut down and install new drive let it build then shut down and remove other old drive, replace with new drive, boot up and let it rebuild. Then use Acronis to adjust partition sizes? Or am I making this too hard?

Done this many times without shutting the server down as it is not always possible in a production environment.

Just replace 1 disk and let it rebuild, then replace the other one. Once this has finished rebuilding then change the partition size with the software of your choice.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I have An older Proliant Dl380 with 5 drive slots.
Raid 1 (Mirror) has 18Gb each. The other three is setup as raid 5.
The Raid 1 mirrored drive is flashing. I need to replace both with a 72gb disk. Can I remove the fail raid1 and replaced with a new 72Gb and let it rebuild itself. then later I replaced the good raid one with another new 72Gb disk. I hope this will not mess up the mirrored drive which was 18gb.

Texasnas...
That is the correct proceedure, one at a time. Make sure the rebuild has completed before you pull the second 18 gig drive and inserting the second 72 gig disk; with raid 1 it does not take a long time. As long as you only pull drives from the raid 1, it will not affect the raid 5

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back