Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to print from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtgun

Instructor
Jun 2, 2000
US
If you are unable to print from the PC because you get an error message such as unable to print toLPT1 or &quot;Communications error check all cabling and try to print again&quot;, what should be the first solution to resolve this issue? Should you first print a self test, and if successful, reconnect the cable and try to print again or just reseat the cable everytime this error message occurs. [sig]<p>Ross Oldham<br><a href=mailto:tanker1@gte.net>tanker1@gte.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

first thing i would try would be a test print from full DOS mode ( start,shutdown, restart in MS-DOS) from the windows directory ( c:\windows) type the following dir>lpt1

press f3 a couple of times to send this command again ( this fills the print buffer), if it prints from here you have a driver issue within windows, if now then a dodgy cable, lpt port ( or BIOS setting) or port at the printer side. try another printer if possible

Rob [sig][/sig]

If you can print from dos as suggested above then cable is ok. then leave it alone. Connectors have limited insertion/extractions limits and after a while they get loose and noisy, then fail, at the cost of a motherboard if lpt is integrated.
On initial setup, DOS creates hooks to lpt1: and prn, so either command will work:
dir > lpt1:
dir > prn
[sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back