Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access certain websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainmast

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi all,

OK, here is a little background information: We have a High School with a server, 'mailserve' and an Elementary with a server, 'elemsrv'. They are on two different campuses.

mailserve:
Windows 2000 Server
Domain Controller (MCKEELACADEMY)
Exchange 2000
ISA

elemsrv:
Windows 2003 Server
Domain Controller (MCKEEL-ES)
ISA

We host the email accounts for elemsrv on mailserve because it's only about twelve of them. They would access their email via OWA, hosted on mailserve. Previously to about four days ago, they could access their email from everywhere, inside elemsrv, inside mailserve, at home, etc. but now, they cannot access it from inside elemsrv.

When they try to access OWA, they sign on as usual but when they try to login to exchange it prompts them with another NT authentication box asking for their password again. Say I was trying to log onto John Smith's account: smithj. I would go to the website and enter smithj as the username and enter the appropriate password. After a few seconds the same NT authentication box would pop up, only with smithj replaced by "mckeelacademy.com\smithj". I would enter in the same password as before and it just keeps prompting me again and again. If you cancel out or keep clicking on OK it'll slowly and randomly build the page, but never actually allow access to emails.

We checked the exchange directories on mailserve to make sure they had access, but as far as we know nothing was changed at all. It doesn't even make sense seeing how they could get to their email from ANYWHERE except from inside elemsrv. It makes me think elemsrv is denying access to mailserve, but they can reach other websites hosted on mailserve as well.

We've been going crazy for the past few days, I think if we don't get this thing sorted out quickly we'll end up installing Exchange on elemsrv and getting a domain for external email. Ideally it should be this way, because we are adding another elementary school this summer (which adds about 50 more accounts) and mailserve is nearly maxed out already.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

You need to enter the domain\username into OWA. Or implement FBA which will let you defautl this.

Perhaps a router configuration has change along the route between the schools causing lost packet, thus delays. Use the Pathping from the sites to the other end. You should have few if any lost packets. Search for "blackhole routers"

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I went to from elemsrv and did a trace route to Here are the results, they don't look good to me, but what can I do to fix it?

Code:
Hop# | Avg ms | Loss % | Graph | Address 
1        *       100             0.0.0.0 
2        14                      65.32.14.116 (gig0-2.tampflp43-ubr1.tampabay.rr.com) 
3        *       100             0.0.0.0 
4        *       100             0.0.0.0 
5        *       100             0.0.0.0 
6        *       100             Unable to reach 24.227.48.170 ([URL unfurl="true"]www2.mckeelacademy.com)[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back