Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Troubleshooting modem connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

stalker802

Technical User
Jun 29, 2011
LT
Hi,
I wan't to connect to remote site pbx modem, but it doesn't answer. Please help me with troubleshooting problem.

this is my post: thread690-1663007

but these parameters didn't help me. I have tried AT commands on both sides, but then i get nothing

I suspect you have already done this, but I would go to the remote and, from there, see if you can get dial tone. Then see if you can dial an outside telephone number. Then with a landline attached call the modem line from a cell phone.
That at least will isolate the trouble to the modem.
Good luck!

If there are dipswitches on the modem make sure auto answer is set to ON.

If not try entering ATS0=1 (that's a Zero) followed by ATW on the next line. That says answer on the first ring and then save to the default configuration.

Now the modem probably won't answer unless the TR (terminal ready) light is lit on the modem and possibly the CTS light, but that depends. If the TR light is not lit then try going to Radio Shack or some other source and buying a Null Modem adapter the right size for your cable end that hooks to the modem. Some devices can have their ports configured in reverse if they are designed to connect to a terminal or PC rather than a modem.

It's also possible that you are not connected to the correct port in the PBX or your PBX has not been told to allow remote access on that port.

Lots of variables....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back