Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble with restores

Status
Not open for further replies.

goomba77

Technical User
Dec 14, 2004
US
I have a client that you can see all the CFI info for all incrementals taken but for some reason the fulls do not show any files. Any ideas why this may happen? This is for all fulls, not just the last one and the indexes have not expired. Also, when I try to do an nsrinfo for that particular backup there is no output. Thanks.

strange. What doesds "nsrls client_name" report?

Worst case, recover the indexes with "nsrck -L7 client_name".

Here's the output:

$ nsrls e2pscorlawdba06

/nsr/index/e2pscorlawdba06: 27887474 records requiring 4699 MB
/nsr/index/e2pscorlawdba06 is currently 100% utilized

I'm just going to run scanner for the saveset we need the info but this seems like an ongoing problem that I need to resolve. Are there any special settings that may cause this?

Please check the fulls and run "nsrinfo | grep savetime". This should return all entries for that time and a save set.

Can it be that you did not backup a full for whatever reason. This would of course explain why you can't recover from the full.

I even got the following error when running the scanner:

$ scanner -s cdavisqa1 -i -S 250637314 /dev/rmt/1stcbn
scanner: using 'rd=e2pscorlawdba04:/dev/rmt/1stcbn' as the device name
scanner: scanning 3590 tape O06712 on rd=e2pscorlawdba04:/dev/rmt/1stcbn
scanner: 3590 tape O06712 already exists in the media index
scanner: ssid 250637314: finished, but incomplete
scanner: ssid 250637314: 9058 MB, 54540 file(s)
scanner: (ssid 250637314) error decoding save stream

This is what I get for that particular saveset when running nsrinfo|grep date:

/lawprint/, date=1108279231 Sun Feb 13 02:20:31 2005

So even after running the scanner I still can't see the files from that day. The save set has ALOT of files/directories in it. Could this possibly be the problem?

This is weird. All points to a read problem from that media.

The save set size (9GB) and the number of files (55k) is nothing. If this save set has not been aborted, i don't know.

If the backup was aborted is there a way to still recover files that were backed up in the backup?

Yes. However, usually aborted save set are of no interest. This is why NW 7 deletes the index information by default. And it would delete such save sets from a file device.

If you use a tape, the info is still there. Just scann the media for the save set info and then perform a save set revovery to a temp directory. It should work up to the abort.

Tried the save set restore and this is what I got:

Skipping file due to incomplete save set: /lawprint

I did find something that may help and am going to try next. Running the scanner and | to uasm.

Do you know of any good troubleshooting guides to finding out what is happening with the full backups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back