Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TP-Link Access Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

CecilXavier

Technical User
Oct 2, 2007
US
We have them set up as wireless repeaters. 1 Access Point the rest
repeating off that access point. If I have each of the units plugged
into ethernet, will they keep repeating the signal if the 1 designated
as the wireless access point goes down?
Can I repeat off of a repeater? Meaning I am trying to extend the
signal further the 1 repeater can go, so on the edge of that repeaters
range I put another repeater.

Lets start over what do you need to do? Is this indoors or outdoors?

I am trying to maximize my range using tp-link access points. I can set things up to repeat, but I want to know is it safe, or wise, to repeat off a repeater. It would be indoor and outdoor.

What we did some years ago was to have several accesspoints with the same configuration, so that any laptops was able to connect to the nearest AP, even if one broke down, without loosing connection.

I don´t think it is wise to repeat off a repeater, because if one of them in the middle of the line breaks down, all repeaters behind can not connect any more. It is like a cheap christmastree fairy lights - if one in the middle breaks - all lamps behind are off.

Kind regards
Mirko
--------------------------------------
>>>>>> ... I am sure, some supportissues are a matter of PEBKAC ... <<<<<

How much space are you trying to cover? Depending on how it's setup, you would be better off using the ethernet ports. Like kermit01de said if one goes down in a WDS setup, anything behind the downed AP would be offline. Can you offer a little more detail about how you have it set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back