Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Touch text editing - turn it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Not sure if that is the right term "touch text editing", but here it is in the attached picture.
Can this be turned off in Windows 8? FYI - it's a Lenovo Yoga 13.
edit.jpg

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

No - the blue circles with the blue highlighted text in between. That text is apparently selected via a certain type of swiping motion on a word or group of words. Just want to turn it off.

What Browser are you using? Is it the same in a different Browser?

> a certain type of swiping motion

Unfortunately I'm only aware of a method of completely disabling all input gestures for W8 (whether touch screen, touch pad or mouse-based), not a generic method for disabling specific gestures (various 3rd party drivers sometimes come with the ability to disable gestures, but clearly they are specific to the hardware the driver is for)

No other browser installed on this machine (not mine).

Unfortunately I'm only aware of a method of completely disabling all input gestures for W8
Does disabling input gestures disable all of the Windows 8 touch screen operations as well?

Ok. That's what I figured. Apparently it's too easy to highlight a word or words when touching the screen if you're really just trying to make a selection.

Ok, so an update. This does NOT happen with Firefox on the same page where it will happen with IE.
Any other ideas?

Do you have a URL where you see this event occurring?

Is IE's Popup Blocker turned on and set high enough? Have a look in the Tools/ Internet Options/ Privacy Tab.

I'm going to get that web site from the customer but I can't remember at the moment, even though it was just this morning. I'll tell you how to replicate it and maybe someone with a touch laptop can try it.

The web site (or one of them) that exhibits this behavior in I.E. If you use your finger to click on DEPARTMENTS or ROOMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back