Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.tmp files

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxd135

MIS
Jun 18, 2001
US
I am trying to clean up my server, and I am not too familiar with autocad. We have a ton of .tmp files in our folders, and I don't want to delete them without knowing what they are. Does anyone know if they are error files or if they are good files?? When you change the extension from .tmp to .dwg they become a valid Cad file. Any ideas??

gxd135,

.tmp files are more than likely some sort of system file. AutoCAD files you can safely delete (when AutoCAD is NOT running), acadstk.dmp, acad.err, *.AC$, and *.log - be carefull here though, you don't want to delete any system log files.

Not that you asked, but whenever I either install or customize AutoCAD, I create two directories directly underneath the AutoCAD install directory ie., C:\Program Files\Autodesk Architectural Desktop 3.3\, called AcadTemp and BatchLogFiles. Then I direct AutoCAD to locate all temporary drawing files, autosave files, and temporary X-refs to the AcadTemp directory. If I'm using logfilemode, I'll set the logfilepath to the BatchLogFiles path (usually because I'm batch processing files). This way when AutoCAD crashes, I've only got a handfull of places to clean up, and if the computer starts acting sluggish, I'll close AutoCAD and delete everything in these directories including the UNDO file AutoCAD creates, and usually see the performance come back to where it was.

HTH
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back