Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The regular programmer had a stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldur3635

Technical User
Feb 15, 2010
BE
The regular programmer had a stroke, he's not coming back and my friend is looking for a replacement. In the meantime, I'm stand-in. Not bad when you get a chance at 80 to re-hone your programming skills, I suppose. Problem is that things have moved on so I'm playing catch up for a while.

I was given a pile of DVD's. We took a new PC with 16GB RAM and I've reinstalled Win 7 and patched up.

I re-installed. RAD Studio Delphi XE7, with updates. I've re-installed most of the components, such as MyDac, DevExpress, TMS Components & JEDI, no problem at all, but I have two things the are giving me nightmares.

Advanced Data Export v4.14.1.5. It was bought as a download so no hard copy documentation. I've tried putting every folder into the Library Path, but I still get the same errors :

requires
adortl,
dbrtl,
soaprtl,
vcl,
vcldb,
vclimg,
vclx;

I'm obviously missing something here. I was trying to solve it most of yesterday. I don't believe the file is corrupted, because I have a similar problem with another component that requires designide and vcl.

In both cases, I get a dcc32 Fatal Error - Required package not found.
[bigears]
Can anyone help the old brain?

>The regular programmer had a stroke, he's not coming back and my friend is looking for a replacement. In the meantime, I'm stand-in. Not bad when you get a chance at 80 to re-hone your programming skills, I suppose. Problem is that things have moved on so I'm playing catch up for a while.

I just wanted to encourage you to keep at it. It definitely is encouraging to see you trying and asking questions.

I'll say too that I haven't been able to keep up in the industry for all the things that have befallen me. But I'm trying. I think a lot of it for me is between my old copy of Delphi and all these "new" things (like for right now, I need a JSON parser, but need to learn Python enough to figure out how to do some things with some web programs), it gets hard to get something done that I want to do these days - mainly trying to understand and access web apps these days. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm a hobbyist programmer and not a professional Delphi programmer. I keep wondering too if I should just give up and learn another language and keep the Delphi stuff I've already done and maintain for my own use (and maybe share it, consistent with the other post, don't know).

Problem is that things move on so quick it seems...

Thanks for the encouragement. I say the same to you, just keep at it. Keeps the brain from dementia if nothing else!

I did eventually solve the problem and it was really weird. Two of the entries right at the start of the Library search path were greyed out and two were missing. I still have XE3 on one of my own computers, so I copied the entries from that and suddenly everything started to work again.

It must have been something I did after installing, but I have no idea what. Anyhow all problems have a solution, and if you keep at it you eventually find it.

Never give up, even when no one wants to offer any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back