Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The new look.... 3

Mandy_crw

Programmer
Jul 23, 2020
PH
Hi everyone.... Just dropping by to say loving the new look of the forum...

Love the look... and in my case, I'm a member of a few Ford forums that use the same XenForo software, so it's familiar to me.

One thing I can say is that it will take a little while before Google indexes are updated to find the new URLs for the old messages.

I wonder how many of us have discovered the "style chooser". There's a link to it at the very bottom of every page, either at the very left or most of the way over to the right. It lets you choose one of three styles: Default, Nova and Tek Tips. Unfortunately, none of them completely solves two common problems: that the text is too light, and the minimum height of each post is too big.

Still worth a look. You might notice a small improvement.

Mike

The new look? For me it's only lots of unnecessary bells and whistles.
I just envy the eng-tips users, that they can still use the good old system in their forum: https://www.eng-tips.com/

I wonder how many of us have discovered the "style chooser". There's a link to it at the very bottom of every page, either at the very left or most of the way over to the right. It lets you choose one of three styles: Default, Nova and Tek Tips. Unfortunately, none of them completely solves two common problems: that the text is too light, and the minimum height of each post is too big.

Mike

Thanks, now i see it. But Is there a difference between Default and Tek Tips styles?

Since the content is centered scaling to 150% (by Browser, not by site style) made the font readable to me. But that means only two posts are visible, only one fully.

The new look? For me it's only lots of unnecessary bells and whistles.
I just envy the eng-tips users, that they can still use the good old system in their forum: https://www.eng-tips.com/

I just compared the home pages between TT and ET.

TT now has 10685 lines of code.
ET has 712 lines of code.

That is a difference of a factor of 15 making potential security holes and other errors 15 times more likely AT A MINIMUM as well as making bug fixes much harder. That is code bloat - more code, more potential problems, harder to maintain, etc.

I bet the whole site is comparable.

I fail to see how 15 times more code is an improvement, except for instant job security for those who maintain the code.

Interesting options at the bottom of the page:
The Nova style is a bit more compact, but still I don't like it.
The width option is OK to use all of your screen.

At least they gave us something to choose.

Regards, Gerrit

I changed to the other two styles, to have a taste of them.

For me, the old look was much better.

>At least they gave us something to choose

Management have been asked to provide additional styles. Two main requests for any new styles are less brightness, and less wasted white space

>I just envy the eng-tips users, that they can still use the good old system in their forum

For now. Just as with tek-tips, eng-tips was acquired by WTWH Media back in December last year as part of the acquisition of engineering.com. I'd imagine that tek-tip, always considered the less important of the two Tecumseh Group forums (tek-tips and eng-tips) that engineering.com themselves acquired back in 2015, is being used to test site migration and that eng-tips will themselves be transferred once everyone is happy with the tek-tips transfer.

>I fail to see how 15 times more code is an improvement

I get your point, but the problem, is that the old site was a bespoke ColdFusion-based platform, and once the original tecumseh programmer - Doug - left they really had noone who really understood it. XenForo, on the other hand, is a 3rd party, fully supported platform used by over 1800 companies worldwide. So I guess less of a headache to maintain.

Mike
Thanks Mike

apart from the "bad" look the available themes have, the biggest (and show stopper for me) is the fact that now we don't seem to have an option to have ONLY our subscribed forums on a compact list on the left which allowed us to quickly see what forums had new stuff, neither the option to them click on said forum and see new posts for that forum only on the middle list.

so now I have a full blow list of forums I am not interested on, with a (right) list of threads I don't care about - unless they implement a similar style and functionality I will be dropping of tek-tips permanently. (and only posting here as I saw strongm comments on this.)

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back