Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

taskbar/launchbar not behaving properly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocaire

Technical User
Oct 16, 2005
I just completed the build of a new high end computer system, running XP Pro SP2. In trying to set up the taskbar et al, it seems to be behaving strangely.

I have XP Home SP2 on 2 other machnes, and I'm conversant in working with the task bar/launch bar.

When "adjusting" things, I can usually drag a separator handle to a desired position. In the new system, they won't drag. Right clicking on the taskbar does not show it to be locked.

Initially, when I called for the launch bar, it inserted itself into the extreme left end of the task bar, and could not be dragged over to the middle, where I prefer it.

Then, along the way while playing with things, the total bar height increased to a double height bar. Trying to drag the top back down to a single height did not work - it stayed at double height.

The only way to know get it back to single height, is to right click, and uncheck to the "launch bar".

And, the right end, showing background processes which are running now shows a very short length window area, with a double arrow to expand things to see what's in there.

It would seem that I've overlooked something, which is limiting the flexibility that I have on my other systems, but I can't figure out what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bocaire

right click on empty area of task bar
click properties
uncheck "hide inactive icons"
the double height bar has happened to me before. you just have to play with it to get it to normal height.
"delete" the icons from quick launch (you can add them later
play with the separator bar until task bar becomes single height.
now, right click on task bar
check "show quick launch"
now add the icons that you want in quick lanuch.

Thanks for the reply.

One other element. The task bar can't be moved by dragging either. The impression is that the task bar is LOCKED, and can't be unlocked. It's behaing strangel in other areas also. There are certain program, that when run on my other XP machines, show an icon in the taskbar area where bachground "stuff" is running. On the new machine, that small icon doesn't show. But a full Program title. such as when I minimize things such as WordPerfect, and the like.

I wonder if the install was corrupted somewhow, along the way. this is a new machine that has just had Windows installed.

Is there a Registry key that possibly should be deleted, and have it regenerated somehow?

Bocaire

Hi Alidabiri,

Well, I just kept playing, and, suddenly some of the problems disappeared. I was able to change the height back top one row, and suddenly, I could now drag the bar around. And, I could also drag one of the handles across the bar.

And, I was now able to place the Quick launch items, and their handle in the middle of the single row.

I have to believe that something had gotten (temporarily) corrupted when I was trying all of this last night. Because now, it all seems to be working OK.

And, I not doing anything differently from what I was doing last night. <sigh>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back