Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symposium views missing data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim257

MIS
Jan 10, 2011
GB
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. Like many other users I've normally had my questions answered by old threads or google, but this one's got me stumped.

I've been reporting happily from our Symposium database (ASE/12.0.0.2/P/SWR) primarily using the iApplicationStat, dApplicationStat, iAgentPerformanceStat views for the past few months after finally connecting via ODBC.

However, these views are now not showing data from the past few days. Symposium has pegged up until 2011-01-06 23:45:00 and for some reason the views aren't showing data beyond this point.

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed with Symposium itself, and users haven't logged any issues with it.

Are there any services that deal with logging the data, or is there anything I could check should be running / working?

I've only really used Symposium for reporting purposes, so my knowledge of the internals is quite shabby. Any help anyone could provide on getting the missing data would be great, I'll do my best to provide any info needed to help.

Cheers,

Jim.

Edit:

I noted in the event log that at 2011-01-05 14:06 the MAS Time Service service stopped. When I checked in services, however it appears to be running, also the logging of historical statistics didn't stop until 23:45 that night.

As I come across new things I'll try to add them.

I've had a look on our Symposium servers in \Nortel\ICCM\Data\SDM\Stats\Data and noticed that there are files from when the issue occurred up until now; NItAppStat.xxxxxxxxxx etc. So it looks to me like the HDC_Service is still up and running.

Is resolving the issue just a matter of restarting the HDM_Service? If so what are the consequences of doing so?

Apparently none. I've restarted the HDM_Service a few times as I notice every now and then that the updates to the Sybase database cease.

Now my problem is that I'm only getting the summary data for interval and not for daily or weekly.

Does the service need to run overnight for this data to be populated?

Cheers,

Jim.

You have solved the problem. And daily data are available after midnight - they are not complete before the day is over.
Weekly data consist of dayly data, so the same goes for them.

Thanks for the reply bajangsa

Ok, This morning at about 10:30 the daily summary completed. The HDM_Service had fallen over over night though. So I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it to see what happens.

Jim, I know you said that nothing had changed that you know of - but you might check to see if any Microsoft hot fixes have been applied, or virus scan updates/changes. I struggled for several months with a dozen servers only to find that weird issues with services hanging up were the result of some Microsoft patches.

Thanks for the tip sandyml, I'm going to get our sys admin to put a watch on the service and the folder that holds the files produced by the HDC so we can get a better idea of when it breaks.

I've just again checked the tables and data seems to be coming through fine now and nothing is missing as far as I can tell.

sandyml , can you share with us the microsoft hotfixes you said were the source of your problmes ?
Thanks's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back