Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUSE Linux and multimedia 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestgulkan

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
Why is SUSE linux so brain-dead with respect to video files.
I can't play ANYTHING - why?
Are all linux versions the same or should I just junk SUSE and get something else?

1. SuSE linux is an operating system, not a media player. Just like running Windows, you have to have an application to play the files.
2. SuSE by default installs the Kaffeine media player, which works just fine for me.

I run SuSE and am perpetually perterbed at their reluctance to install the DeCSS decoder in the their Xine installation.

There is an RPM on the Xine site that has bundled all of the (many) packages needed to install Xine with the proper decoders for viewing DVDs. Dump the SuSE provided Xine RPM and install the package directly from Xine. Kaffeine will also be able to use these decoders when you install them for Xine.

I believe that you can get the MS avi decoders as well.

pansophic

There is also a program called 'mplayer' you can get from The page contains the player and the codecs (get the ALL codecs) then you will also need to search on sourceforge for mplugin. This has worked great for me playing winblows media files and mms streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back