Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sun e220R no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbl4me

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
Hello,
I have obtained 2 older e220R sparc servers. I am trying to install solaris 10, but I cannot get the video out to work. I used a PCI video card that I know works...but do you need a special PCI card for this server, or is there a jumper? The server powers up, but never displays anything on the screen. The KB emits a single beep, if the pci card is in or out.

Thanks
Will

Hi Will. Is there a port you could connect a laptop to?

Incidentally, without wishing to encourage cross-posting there are something like 3 or 4 times the number of members in Forum60 as compared to this forum, one of whom might have the definitigve answer to your question.

the OBP might be set to ttya, instead a head and keyboard, this may be the reason for not getting output. Do you have a keyboard and mouse for the server if so, you may try hooking it up, powering the server down, wait a 10-15sec, power it back up, and then press the key sequence <STOP> <N> (keep pressing for 20-30secs, there is a limited window for this key sequence to work, without being able to see anything, you have no other choice but to hold the button down for a longer time period.

<STOP> <N>, this will set your OBP back to default, and I believe default is with a keyboard and mouse as far as input/output device.

If this does not work, KenCunningham's posting is also a viable option, hook up a laptop to the server, you will probably need a null modem cable, and then use everyones favorite tool to connect -- hyperterminal (just kidding, I hate it!!!)

I believe the beep when powering up, is just reconizing the keyboard.

Yes, I think so.

it seems that e220r server has been set the serial port connection.
you'd better go to above procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back