Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subweb administration and access

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3t3rVE

Programmer
Dec 3, 2004
US
Hello, I am setting up a departmental server on RHEL3 ES which has the following installed ...

Apache/2.0.52 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.52 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 SVN/1.1.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.0.2 Server at 192.168.1.1 Port 80

The only thing I haven't gotten to work is the sub/per-user webs using FrontPage. Yes, I can access the per-user webs with This is done from the httpd and not frontpage. There are two ways of building sub/per-user webs. One is the command line and I have used ..

./owsadm.exe -o install -p 192.168.1.1:80 -web "~username" -xu username -xg username -u username -pw usernamepw -s /usr/local/conf/httpd.conf

The other is through the FrontPage administration online web pages. I have used both. I setup the subweb online using the name ~username. OK, I can do anything to the main site using either FrontPage client or the online administation pages. I get prompted for username/pw set and get authenticated just fine. As soon as I try to access or administor the subweb, I get prompted for username/pw set and can't get in. It jsut keeps prompting over and over. I have tried many things, but the one I feel is most important is that when I created the subweb, I have choosen to use the username as admin (unique permissions) and I have used 'Use same permissions as parent web'. Both with the same results. I even went to 'Manage Users' and made the username an administrator, which I'll undo later. I can log into the main site's administration pages using the username guy just fine. I only mention this to show that the service.grp and.pwd seem to work as I can log into the main site's admin pages.

I have looked online and searched through a bunch of forums, but haven't seem anything exactly like this one. If there is something, then sorry that I didn't find it. I have tried though. That said, I thank you in advance for your time if you reply.

Cheers,
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back