Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storing Reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvert

Technical User
Jun 26, 2000
GB
Dear All - In order to reduce the size of the front end application I 'store1 all the master tables in one db and then link to those from the front end. Very simple, very good! Is there a similar facility to store reports 'off site'? We have a number of reports with gifs in them and they are getting rather large. I wondered if there was a better way to do this. Regards - Calvert

Are you embedding the graphics in the report or loading them from disk, storing a link?
If the former, try the latter. Create an images directory somewhere on your network with the graphics (if it doesn't already exist) and change the picture type property on the control's Format tab from Embedded to Linked.

THis means it will load the image every time, so may slow it down slightly over embedding them, but will be a lot more frugal on disk space as it doesn't need to store multiple copies of them.

John

Dear John - Thanks for that. I shall certainly give it a try. The one problem may be that the 'Reports' are picking lists and we print off maybe 30 - 80 at a time. If the application has to 'go and get an image' every time it may slow the process down too much. Thanks again, Calvert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back