Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stop WSUS server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetoo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
Got an issue where I approved a bunch of updates earlier this week and it's really slowing my network down. Went to the server to temporarily stop the server from providing updates, but there's no WSUS service as I expected there to be.

How can I temporarily stop the WSUS from allowing clients to download updates at the server?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

One problem with WSUS is the lack of a big red button, the best way to stop it is to unapprove or decline the update for now. As far as i know.

Crud...thank you MS for not even providing a service to stop!

Problem is I approved a bunch of updates that I'd been holding off for a while, so they're all over the place.

Oh well, just have to weather the storm for now...

Thanks.

I think if you stop IIS that will stop them from downloading the updates as well but that might have an effect on other services.

To add to prokchopexpress comment. WSUS installs into its own website, you could just stop the WSUS website and not all of IIS, this should stop the updates also.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

You could stop Automatic Updates service on all the clients. Maybe drop it into GPO and turn it on when you need.

That did the trick RoadKi11! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back