Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steps in creating Server Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

friendor

Technical User
Jan 12, 2003
US
PLs.. Help me in the Creating a server cluster
what requirement do i need hardware and software?
how can i manage to connect to backup server whenever
the primary server fails without any distruption?

This doc will tell you roughly what you need:

All clusters are going to be different. A file/print cluster will require different hardware from a SQL cluster. Also, you need to decide the most cost-effective solution for your organization. For instance, my last company needed a SQL cluster but didn't want to pay for two Compaq DL760s fully loaded, so I got one DL760 and one DL580 (which had about half the processors but supported the same amount of RAM). I made management understand that in a failover, we would be running on 1/2 processor power and they were OK with that.

You also want to make sure that you buy a proper RAID Array or SAN solution for your cluster and that it is compatible with Microsoft Cluster Services. Other than that, just make sure you don't have any single points of failure and you should be fine.

Also, both nodes in the cluster represent one single virtual cluster. You don't need to connect to each server separately. In the event of a failover, the secondary node will (hopefully) take over the cluster resources and the whole failover shouldn't last more than 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. I had failovers occur that happened so fast that SQL connections didn't drop.

Read that doc. It will tell you what you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back